Jan 4, 2014
Congress and President Obama worked together to fast-track a new
& unexamined NDAA into law. The new law essentially makes NSA data
collection legal, cuts military pensions, and spends an enormous
amount of money making sure the United States is able to destroy
the entire world at a moment's notice.
Links to Information in This Episode H.R. 3304: The National Defense
Authorization Act of 2014 *The title has been changed to the
National Defense Authorization Act of 2014 since it was signed into
law. Previously, it was titled "To authorize and
request the President to award the Medal of Honor to Bennie G.
Adkins and Donald P. Sloat of the United States Army for acts of
valor during the Vietnam Conflict and to authorize the award of the
Medal of Honor to certain other veterans who were previously
recommended for award of the Medal of Honor"
- The Cyber-security bill (Sections 932- 942) was added by Senator Jay Rockefeller.
- Section 1071 creates the "Conflicts Records Research Center"
and allows states, foreign governments, and "any source in the
private sector" to give money to the Department of Defense.
- Section 143 prohibits the military from retiring the RQ-4 Block
30 Global Hawk drones, which the Air Force doesn't want.
- Section 234 gives $15 million taxpayer dollars to "United
States" companies so they can set up assembly lines for the Iron
Dome missile defense system in Israel. No requirement for
profit-sharing with the taxpayers was included.
- Section 242 says the United Stats shouldn't buy products that
don't work unless the purchase is "to mainatin a warm line for the
- Section 811 allows private contractors specializing in science,
technology, engineering, math, medical, and cyber-security to be
paid up to $625,000/year. The President of the United States
- Section 813 makes it easier for the Department of Defense to
hide their reasons for contracting with suspended or disbarred
- Section 1011 extends the CIA/military program in
Columbia for another year.
- Section 1013 expands the drug war to Chad, Libya, Mali, and
- Section 1033-1039 prevent prisoners from Guantanamo Bay prison
from being transferred to prisons in the United States, but allows
them to be transferred to their home countries if certain
conditions are met.
- Section 1043 orders a report from the President regarding how
he creates his kill lists.
- Section 1056 only allows the military to "prepare" to comply
with the New Start Treaty, not to
actually comply with the New Start Treaty.
- Section 1062 says that upgrading nuclear bombers "must remain a
high budget priority."
- Sections 1701-1753 create new rules governing sexual assault in
The Congressional Research Service
summary of the 2014 NDAA; note that the "Conference Report"
numbers (H.R. 3304 is the conference report) are blank. The NDAA
was passed via fast-track,
which means no amendments were allowed. H.R. 1960: The
National Defense Authorization Act version that passed the House of
Representatives earlier this year; it is officially a dead bill.
Section 403 of the Budget
Agreement - which has been signed into law - cuts the cost of
living adjustments to pensions for military veteran's under age 62 by 1% per year.
Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel's comments on the
pension cuts. The NSA has full access to Apple
iPhones Music in This Episode Intro and Exit
Music: Tired of Being Lied To by
David Ippolito (found on Music
Alley by mevio) Somebody's Watching Us by Skybridge (found on Music
Alley by mevio)